river-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Creswell <...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:23:21 GMT
Michael McGrady wrote:
> Thanks, John.  I agree with everything you say.  However . . . but . . .
> why not do what it takes to split them?  Why not put all the classes
> necessry to do JavaSpaces in JavaSpaces?  Now would be the time to do
> it, if ever?  If one of JavaSpaces or JINI has to "wear the pants",
> shouldn't it be JavaSpaces and not JINI, i.e., shouldn't JINI depend on
> JavaSpaces and not the reverse?

Alas, such a reversal of dependencies would be quite difficult as for
example the Entry Specification that is part of Jini Core is in fact
used for lookup (and the lookup service), not just JavaSpaces.

Personally I think a more interesting question is:

"What do you gain by not bothering with the Jini part?"

Seemingly you would lose dynamic lookup unless you replace it with some
other mechanism (e.g. Bonjour).  Losing this element means a bunch of
non-scalable brittle configuration to worry about.  Not too mention that
absence of this pattern makes for less failure tolerant code and reduces
your ability to do dynamic upgrade.

If you take away code downloading your ability to have a system
dynamically learn about new types (such as might be useful for a compute
server) will be lost.  Some will claim that with most containers having
very poor classloader structures this isn't a loss but personally I'm
not a fan of huge long classpaths that leave lots of options for mistakes.

A few starters for ten,

Dan.