river-dev mailing list archives

From Holger Hoffstätte <hol...@wizards.de>
Subject Re: code name alternatives (was Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI)
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 07:36:29 GMT
James Grahn wrote:
> Oh, what, you expect me to be helpful? ;-)
>
> I agree that code names are... at least on par with acronyms in many
> cases, because acronyms rapidly converge to nonsense too (inserting
> words to make the acronym distinct, alphabet soup, &c).   But cramming
> half a dozen code names into a single project seems a bit extreme.

Yes. It's a pretty big turn-off, especially since all terms are from
different languages/cultures. Even when the name is an actual word,
"mercury" is almost guaranteed to be mistaken as the element, not the
messenger.

> It may be boring, but personally I'd prefer descriptive package & jar
> names to code names.

boring is good.

> So:
> Outrigger -> services.space
> Mahalo -> services.transaction
> Reggie -> services.lookup or services.registrar
> and so on (with similar changes to jar names).

yes please!

> That said, package changes may break a terrific amount of code, so it
> would be best to make a change like that with some other major change
> (like the change from jini to apache.river).

yes.

Dennis has already done that, now all that's needed is a working committer
model..if only because the one in place obviously doesn't work.

-h