river-dev mailing list archives

From James Grahn <jgr...@simulexinc.com>
Subject code name alternatives (was Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI)
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 00:52:57 GMT
Oh, what, you expect me to be helpful? ;-)

I agree that code names are... at least on par with acronyms in many
cases, because acronyms rapidly converge to nonsense too (inserting
words to make the acronym distinct, alphabet soup, &c).   But cramming
half a dozen code names into a single project seems a bit extreme.

It may be boring, but personally I'd prefer descriptive package & jar
names to code names.

So:
Outrigger -> services.space
Mahalo -> services.transaction
Reggie -> services.lookup or services.registrar
and so on (with similar changes to jar names).

I know it's more typing if done manually, but lo, Eclipse has gifted us
with CTRL+SHIFT+O.   And with that, our imports organize.   We can
afford the decadence of self-explanatory names.

That said, package changes may break a terrific amount of code, so it
would be best to make a change like that with some other major change
(like the change from jini to apache.river).

Other opinions welcome, of course.

jamesG

Wade Chandler wrote:
> Any suggestions to go along with the ...? :-D I think code names often work better because
acronyms are hard to make up to fit a paradigm, and often the things services do are just
so darn hard to sum up in a word. I like the code names. Outrigger makes me think of deep
sea fishing (without the barfing) though here it probably was used for a sailing canoe, but
I don't know for sure, but Mahalo makes me think that, Mahalo Hawaii, and Reggie makes me
think of sports because of Reggie Jackson. Anyways, they are all similar to Tomcat or GlassFish
or something...not sure what Tomcat or GlassFish has to do with a sensible name either. I
like Rivers services names better :-D

> Wade

> Wade Chandler, CCE
> Software Engineer and Developer, Certified Forensic Computer Examiner, NetBeans Dream
Team Member, and NetBeans Board Member