river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Deciding the Future
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:58:49 GMT
Greg Trasuk wrote:
> I just want to add a comment on the dl-jar files, for people on the list
> who might be new to Jini.  See comments below:
>
> On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 00:07, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> 4. I have not tackled the -dl.jar issue yet. IMHO, I would have them
>> as separate Maven modules, as then the dependency for clients become
>> crystal clear.
>
> We need to be very clear here; the clients don't have a dependency on
> the dl-jar.

In fact, a Jini client should really only ever have jsk-platform.jar (the
platform, these are interfaces and data classes that are the "spec") and perhaps
jsk-lib.jar (Entry implementations and other utility classes) in their
classpath.  This is what they should compile against.  The -dl.jar will be sent
to them over the JERI path and used by the preferred class loaded to provide the
classes which implement the "spec" interfaces etc.

I'm going to start a new topic to discuss something about getting to a single
artifact.

Gregg Wonderly