river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:53:04 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Gregg Wonderly <gregg@wonderly.org> wrote:
>
>> Okay, I think there needs to be a viewpoint expressed here that comes from a
>> different direction.  Jini is not all the services in River.  Jini is the
>> foundation/API in River, which allows you to create clients and services.
>>  These utilize the Java security system, Java mobile code, and the Java
>> platform, in general, to effectively (and I'd say efficiently) create
>> distributed, scalable network centric applications.
>
> We hear ya; but relax a second,
>
> 1. Spaces as a concept is not bound to Jini.
>
> 2. A Spaces API can likewise be Jini-agnostic.

JavaSpace is an interface.  That is the definition of a JavaSpace, plain and simple.

If you want to take outrigger and augment it with other APIs so that it can
provide access to the space through other means, that's something to debate here.

Jini, needs to have a JavaSpace in the distribution, and adding more interfaces
and complicating it, in that way, is what we should be under discussion, not
"taking javaspaces out of jini".

Gregg Wonderly