river-dev mailing list archives

From Holger Hoffstätte <hol...@wizards.de>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 15:43:37 GMT
Michael McGrady wrote:
> Thanks, John.  I agree with everything you say.  However . . . but . . .
> why not do what it takes to split them?  Why not put all the classes
> necessry to do JavaSpaces in JavaSpaces?  Now would be the time to do
> it, if ever?  If one of JavaSpaces or JINI has to "wear the pants",
> shouldn't it be JavaSpaces and not JINI, i.e., shouldn't JINI depend on
> JavaSpaces and not the reverse?

And how you would look up your JavaSpace "without Jini"?
Jini by itself doesn't really do anything useful, the services are key -
but that means they have to depend on the foundation. You don't have to
use the foundation if you don't have to, though the Entry interface is a
good example for why things are (and have to be) the way they are.

-h