river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Deciding the Future
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:59:58 GMT
Jeff Ramsdale wrote:
> 2) There is no particular help in setting up an IDE (I use and prefer
> Eclipse) to work with the code. No project files, no indication how to set
> up classpath(s), etc. How does one get started making changes to the code?
> What would make it easier for folks to participate?

I use netbeans to develop on my branch of Jini.  I merely added it as a "project
with existing ant script", and then used netbeans ability to add
"compile-single" and "run-single" etc. to extend the IDEs function so that I can
edit a file, press the "compile this file" (F9) button, and be good to then
press the "run this file" (SHIFT-F6) button to run that file.  Certainly, if I
touch more than one file, I use the jini build.xml's build steps, which are
wired to netbeans "compile project" function.

It certainly works for me to accomplish a build.  I personally prefer having a
single target that will build everything so that I don't have to remember which
2 or 3 out of 10 that I need to do.

The current build process provides an outline of steps that need to be done in
that order to deal with the dependencies of the sun contributed services to the
platform.

Gregg Wonderly