river-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McGrady <mmcgr...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 16:15:17 GMT
Thanks, Greg.  I think your worries are misplaced.  There is nothing
in the suggestion regarding splitting JavaSpaces and JINI that will
affect JINI negatively.

There is no question, I think, of "taking JavaSpaces our of JINI".
Rather, the idea is to decouple them.

Modern computing, as you know, is in large part all about how to
properly organize complex systems.  Two related tools are to decouple
modules and to make sure that a module has high cohesion.  So, all
that is being discussed here is how to decouple, not a divorce.  This
may only require moving the Entry interface over to JavaSpaces.  That
"plain and simple", or close to it.  That is what was meant, I think,
by relax.

The Javaspace API is of interest independent of JIN, as others have
pointed outI.  If River won't decouple them, then that is an
unnecessary limitation of the codebase which would be unfortunate for
a project seeking interested people.

Mike

On Dec 9, 2008, at 7:53 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Gregg Wonderly <gregg@wonderly.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Okay, I think there needs to be a viewpoint expressed here that
>>> comes from a
>>> different direction.  Jini is not all the services in River.  Jini
>>> is the
>>> foundation/API in River, which allows you to create clients and
>>> services.
>>> These utilize the Java security system, Java mobile code, and the
>>> Java
>>> platform, in general, to effectively (and I'd say efficiently)
>>> create
>>> distributed, scalable network centric applications.
>> We hear ya; but relax a second,
>> 1. Spaces as a concept is not bound to Jini.
>> 2. A Spaces API can likewise be Jini-agnostic.
>
> JavaSpace is an interface.  That is the definition of a JavaSpace,
> plain and simple.
>
> If you want to take outrigger and augment it with other APIs so that
> it can provide access to the space through other means, that's
> something to debate here.
>
> Jini, needs to have a JavaSpace in the distribution, and adding more
> interfaces and complicating it, in that way, is what we should be
> under discussion, not "taking javaspaces out of jini".
>
> Gregg Wonderly

Michael McGrady
Senior Engineer
Topia Technology, Inc.