river-dev mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:04:00 GMT
Well, lets me honest though, many applications don't require all that Jini does. Bob building
a desktop application which he never envisions going distributed or parallel outside of threading
and he is going to think Spring, OSGi, NetBeans module system versus something like Jini.
So, many applications don't need what Jini provides, versus a Spring which works from command
line applications to full blown JEE. So, we're always going to have an up hill battle. I don't
specifically know how to address that, but showing how to make intranet web service and other
types of service discovery possible using Jini, database server location, etc automatic application
configuration, hive bots, distributed RFID readers maybe using Java and cheap low end linux
machines (something factories and groups with many small resources on location can use), etc.
Then we can have more and more users.

Then, yes, we certainly need to have quicker starter development times. I think one very good
route will be to have good Eclipse and NetBeans tooling. Look at annotations to get the simply
aspects going quickly. Work out what all the comlexities are. We can work out complexities
by coming up with a target list of application types, building examples for those, and then
gleaning where things can be simpler. I'm all for changes and making things simpler. I just
want to know what those changes will mean for how things will work after they are made...branches
and forks.

Too, I wouldn't mind starting a side project if someone want so to begin studying those application
types and building examples. Once we get those together I can write an article for Developer.com
on using River with NetBeans (maybe once we get the namespace changes?). Anyways, we'll need
some publicity as well. Does anyone else have a site they are able to write articles? I can
add to the NetBeans DZone (http://netbeans.dzone.com/). Maybe some others can do the Eclipse
ones.

Wade

Wade Chandler, CCE
Software Engineer and Developer, Certified Forensic Computer Examiner, NetBeans Dream Team
Member, and NetBeans Board Member
http://www.certified-computer-examiner.com
http://www.netbeans.org