river-dev mailing list archives

From Dominic Cleal <dominic-cl...@cdo2.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2008 00:32:56 GMT
On Thursday 11 December 2008 23:54:43 Michael McGrady wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2008, at 6:37 PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> > Michael McGrady wrote:
> >> The idea of having JavaSpaces be dependent upon JINI rather than
> >> vice versa has no justification that I can see.  Why would you do
> >> that?
> >
> > Michael, you keep saying this without illustrating which parts of
> > Jini JavaSpaces shouldn't use.  [..snip, DC..]
>
> I have given you my answer but I will do so again.
>
> I think JINI is conceptually dependent on JavaSpaces.  No JavaSpaces,
> no JINI, conceptually.

I have to jump in at this point and ask if you have ever used Jini without
JavaSpaces?  Why do you think Jini is somehow dependent upon JavaSpaces and
what's your justification?

It's entirely possible to use all manner of Jini services without any need for
a JavaSpace.  Your distributed system doesn't require a JavaSpace to
be "conceptually" valid.  Jini is more than you're making it out to be.

> JavaSpace is not dependent on JINI.  No JINI, no worries,
> conceptually.  That is only a problem now because interfaces that
> should be in JavaSpaces are in JINI.

JavaSpaces is dependent upon Jini's transaction specification, which includes
the transactions themselves (which are dependent on leasing) and the
transaction managers (Jini-based services themselves).  There are more than
just a few interfaces in all of that.

The JavaSpaces specification is simply an example of a Jini service.  It's a
specification many of us are fond of, but it is a specification based on
various underlying Jini technologies and ideas.

> I think that JavaSpaces must include certain features, e.g., entries,
> operations on entries, etc.  This is the core technology to my way of
> thinking.  There is no cookie cutter exact answer to exactly where to
> draw the line.

I've a feeling we'd be left with many valuable offcuts if you were holding the
cookie cutter.

> JavaSpaces should be completely independent of JINI.
> JINI should be intelligence on top of JavaSpaces with a different and
> additional purpose.

Please don't leave us hanging; what purpose needs Jini to be based on
JavaSpaces?

--
Dominic Cleal
CDO2