river-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McGrady <mmcgr...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 02:56:42 GMT
Thanks, Gregg,

Since JavaSpaces is the core, as I see the architectural features, I
think that it should stand on its own without dependencies on JINI.
This should provide a natural set of affinities.  For example, don't
you think that JavaSpaces is really where entries belong
semantically?  I assume you do think this.  Perhaps not.

MG

On Dec 9, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> Michael McGrady wrote:
>> The Javaspace API is of interest independent of JINI, as others
>> have pointed out.  If River won't decouple them, then that is an
>> unnecessary limitation of the codebase which would be unfortunate
>> for a project seeking interested people.
>
> Michael, which piece needs to be decoupled and why?  Do you use
> transactions? Do you use service discovery to find a JavaSpace, or
> do you use the localspace from blitz or some other implementation?
>
> What exactly is the problem that you have that keeps you from
> putting jsk-platform.jar in your classpath to use the JavaSpace
> interface?
>
> Do you forsee any problems with the fact that the JavaSpace API also
> includes a reference to Jini transactions as well?
>
> Gregg Wonderly

Michael McGrady
Senior Engineer
Topia Technology, Inc.