river-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McGrady <mmcgr...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:51:21 GMT
+1 on using OSGi.  Having a completely decoupled service like OSGi
handle dependencies is a great idea and I think that soon all the
major players in the application and service container solution spaces
will have finished the integration of OSGI into their systems.

>> Perhaps the 'vision' of JiniNextLevel is all about better integration
>> especially in terms of classloading (which I must say accounts for a
>> fair bit of problems in many cases). I have previously promoted
>> embracing OSGi as the classloading model used, but that went pretty
>> much on deaf ears before. I still think it makes sense, but won't put
>> up a fight over it again, and probably doesn't solve container
>> integration for now.
>>

> OSGI has a classloader model similar to Jini's (highly granular and
> compartmentalized, possibly better documented as well) and one might
> indeed manage a port to that model but any container that doesn't do
> OSGI will still not work right.  I have seen similar approaches to Ron
> Mann's to solve this OSGI/Container integration problem via a bridge
> servlet.  So I guess if you ported Jini to that model you could save
> yourself a package (Ron's) but that's about it.

Michael McGrady
Senior Engineer
Topia Technology, Inc.
1.253.720.3365