river-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Chance" <sgcha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future of Jini/River
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:45:12 GMT
All,

I'm typically a lurker, just watching to see what deployment/operational
issues emerge that inspire healthy discussion on the list.  However, I
occasionally pop in and offer my humble opinion.

There are a few topics I'll add into the mix that I think could make
Jini/River gain some prominence.  These might include a visual,
browser-based lifecycle service management, explicit use of OSGi technology,
and/or the seemingly allusive killer app.

Firstly, I'll mention a couple of dynamics that I believe continue to hold
Jini down.  As a point of fact, when I mention Jini, it's always in the past
tense.  For example, I might say to someone, 'Do you recall Jini?' or 'Have
you ever heard of Jini?'  Usually they acknowledge in a 'weak affirmative';
however, they may or may not actually know to what I'm referring.  One
really sad fact is that no one who has been part of the community will jump
up and down screaming that we need to do something.  It seems every time the
"future of Jini" topic is raised the 'community' simply defends the status
quo.  It's almost like a self-licking ice cream cone, and the folks who make
the ice cream are happy to eat the ice cream.  Accordingly, the
(exceptional) technology remains stagnated in mediocrity and relative
obscurity.

We can't even seem to get Jini/River adopted as a SOA framework. I've seen
no efforts to create and market a River-based BPM/Orchestration capability.
Is there any Web 2.0 type application? What about Web 3.0 and linked data?
Better yet, what about "linked services"?  What about dynamic service
"publish, find and bind" (PF&B) over the intranet or even internet?

We had a visual Jini IDE called IncaX that was, I thought, an awesome
capability that never really got hardened and adopted by the community, much
less the outside world.

I struggle to fathom there remains no browser-based (AJAX) management
framework!  If there is one, please excuse me and show me the link. In
today's world, it's a minimal requirement.  That's something the whole
community could rally around.

 We had (have?) Seven.  We have, I think, RIO.  GigsSpaces? Infiniflow?
Those are either exeedingly obscure in the mainstream or are COTS.

If any of you, who are much smarter than me, have looked at OSGi technology,
one of the first things that SHOULD scream at you is the exceeding symmetry
between Jini and the OSGi service platform.  To my knowledge, only Paremus
has the vision to leverage that symmetry.  And guess what?  I'm doing all I
can to help their cause!

We have Bantam which is another creative use that facilitates dynamic PF&B
over HTTP.  But of those who know about it who is helping build it out?  Who
is helping market it?

We say Jini is protocol agnostic, but to my knowledge, only RMI is
implemented.  We need other bindings, like an ATOM binding.  How "Web
2.0'ish"! What about REST? SOAP?

At the end of the day, all these would probably work, but the community
seems content to remain "within itself".  It fails to coalesce around any
particular vision.

So I offer a vision:  Using River, build an internet scale, decentralized,
autonomic, dynamic PF&B service management APPLICATION that is browser base,
OSGi technology based and Service Component Architecture (SCA) based.  The
framework should allow rapid creation and deployment of services.  The
binding protocol should be based on ATOM or something similarly open.  It
shoud allow end users to build ad hoc worklfow by combining services.  It
should not be wed to SOAP, but allow SOAP.  It should allow REST also.

That is a River that allows all manner of things to flow through it!  :-)

Thank you!
Sam

--
Sam Chance