river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>
Subject Re: Future of Jini/River
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 23:18:30 GMT
Sam Chance wrote:
> Why couldn't Jini explicitly address the service discovery challenges
> currently prominent in mainstream SOA?  Why can't I log into my machine and
> see available services pushed to me - perhaps filtered by security, roles,
> interests, etc?  I don't care where they are; I just want to use them.

My Jini desktop does just this.  It uses a more simplified security mechanism,
while still providing some security.  You have a file of hosts and a file of URL
suffixes.  The union of all of combinations of those are granted AllPermission.
  There is also the one giant thing, for me, which I have addressed in my
implementation of "no downloads until the user clicks".  If discovery continues
to work the way it does now, then imagine waiting for the entire internet to
download onto your computer before you could access anything.  That's what
happens with discovery today, when used in the simple case of a template such as

	ServiceTemplate t = new ServiceTemplate( null, null,
		new Entry[] { UIDescriptor.class });

that you'd use to find all services that provided a ServiceUI.

For me, this is one of the very large issues.  Now there are, of course all
kinds of selections that can be made in the ServiceTemplate.  But still, some VM
on some machine, somewhere, has to download and unmarshall every service found...

Gregg Wonderly