river-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Ramsdale" <jeff.ramsd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What's up with River?
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 05:36:45 GMT
To become a committer at the Eclipse Foundation the employer of the
nominee must sign a form indicating the position is the committer's
own and by their merit rather than through their role in the company.
If the developer leaves the company's employ he/she continues to
maintain their committership at Eclipse. Even if the work is not being
done on behalf of said company this form is required, in order to
ensure there are no IP concerns with the code. This serves to support
continuity in the various communities surrounding Eclipse projects.

It is Sun's prerogative to pursue its other interests and I don't
begrudge it that, but in the absence of a form at the Apache
Foundation like that at Eclipse, I would hope Sun could and would
allow its developers to participate in the Jini/River community on
their own time should they choose to do so. I would be interested in a
public statement from Sun indicating their position with regard to
this issue. Following that, I'd be interested in hearing from any Sun
employees concerning their own wishes and intents.

-jeff