river-dev mailing list archives

From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: What's up with River?
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 19:12:08 GMT
On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 7:36 AM, Jeff Ramsdale <jeff.ramsdale@gmail.com> wrote:
> To become a committer at the Eclipse Foundation the employer of the
> nominee must sign a form indicating the position is the committer's
> own and by their merit rather than through their role in the company.
> If the developer leaves the company's employ he/she continues to
> maintain their committership at Eclipse. Even if the work is not being
> done on behalf of said company this form is required, in order to
> ensure there are no IP concerns with the code. This serves to support
> continuity in the various communities surrounding Eclipse projects.
>
> It is Sun's prerogative to pursue its other interests and I don't
> begrudge it that, but in the absence of a form at the Apache
> Foundation like that at Eclipse, I would hope Sun could and would
> allow its developers to participate in the Jini/River community on
> their own time should they choose to do so. I would be interested in a
> public statement from Sun indicating their position with regard to
> this issue. Following that, I'd be interested in hearing from any Sun
> employees concerning their own wishes and intents.

The form equivalent do exist in Apache, known to most as the Corporate
Contributors License Agreement (CCLA), which essentially indicates
that the employee has the right to contribute to Apache projects, and
any contribution from such individual contributor is considered an
contribution from the individual no matter if it is on paid working
hours or not. It is then an issue between the employee and the
employer to agree on the actual arrangement of working hours.
None-the-less, committers moving elsewhere carry with them the
committership.

So, as Jim indicates, it is a lot up to the individual what happens
when the employer withdraw the "working hour" support. But that is not
important, and I even think that for River, it can be liberating that
the Sun dominance is reduced somewhat, so that Dan, Greg(g) and others
can really be bold and go forward.

I think right now, River is seeking an identity, a purpose and with a
large codebase that is comparatively speaking rather solid, it is
perhaps daunting to start dreaming up new challenges. Let me throw in
some suggestions and see the reaction;

 * Upgrade the JavaSpace reference implementation to be fully distributed.

 * One liner convenience classes for connecting to a JavaSpace and
starting another node in the distributed one.

 * Simplification of JERI usage.

 * Allow non-Java to participate more easily in Jini networks, make it
easier to create SOAP capable services and clients.

 * Integration work in general with non-Jini services, such as WS-*,
Rest, Corba...

Cheers
Niclas