river-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What's up with River?
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 00:38:12 GMT
Hi Dennis,

On Sep 3, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Dennis Reedy wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I was not aware that a member of the community
> could move things forward, thats very interesting.

If a project loses steam (and committers) then it's entirely possible
for the community that has a vested interest in the project to try to
pick it up.

> Could the project (committers) provide some feedback on this?

That would be good.

> I had asked a similar question on AR2 (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-river-dev/200807.mbox/%3c9CE0773C-2DB8-46EB-BB33-1EC8DEA808D1@gmail.com%3e

> ) back on July 24th.
>
> Again, if there is something that I can help with, let me know

If you can take a more active role, I would encourage you to do so.
Having a significant chunk of the committers leave is a blow, but it
doesn't have to be fatal.

Craig

> Thanks and regards
>
> Dennis
>
> On Sep 3, 2008, at 740PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> Hi Dennis,
>>
>> It's good to see a community actively using the technology, with an
>> interest in moving River forward.
>>
>> The ability of River to graduate from incubation and server the
>> wider community is dependent on folks to pick up the ball and run
>> with it.
>>
>> I don't follow River closely, but it appears that the code base is
>> close to ready for release, and if that is the case, one of the
>> committers should pick up the task and release the code.
>>
>> If none of the committers is up to the task, then one of the
>> community can do it. Let's see what the community response is.
>>
>> Craig

>>> Hi Robert,
>>>
>>> As a manner of introduction, I have been working with Jini
>>> technology for almost a decade and direct the Rio project (https://www.rio-project.org

>>> ) that uses Jini technology for a number of key capabilities. I
>>> have been in the "do" business for a number of years :)
>>>
>>> My concern with River is the inactivity and the eventual void that
>>> will be left when the Sun committers move on. Mark Hodapp had
>>> indicated that Sun's involvement is complete (see http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-river-dev/200808.mbox/%3c69A8C8DA-ED4C-4D32-8C9A-60A477E1681D@sun.com%3e)

>>> , and my subsequent reply for status (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-river-dev/200808.mbox/%3c0B8DC774-E5D3-4F23-B80E-66409BCC0E6D@gmail.com%3e

>>> ) was left unanswered.
>>>
>>> With Bob Scheifler's last email I would think that the project
>>> really needs to make a decision on how to move things forward. Its
>>> not just about fixing the issues that are in Jira (there are quite
>>> a few), but also a matter of relevance and visibility. Those of us
>>> that latched on to Jini technology back when it started, and had
>>> the opportunity to develop and deploy Jini technology based
>>> systems certainly want to keep the River flowing (sorry).
>>>
>>> If I can be of help, please let me know.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Dennis
>>
>> Craig L Russell
>> jdo