river-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What's up with River?
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 23:40:01 GMT
Hi Dennis,

It's good to see a community actively using the technology, with an
interest in moving River forward.

The ability of River to graduate from incubation and server the wider
community is dependent on folks to pick up the ball and run with it.

I don't follow River closely, but it appears that the code base is
close to ready for release, and if that is the case, one of the
committers should pick up the task and release the code.

If none of the committers is up to the task, then one of the community
can do it. Let's see what the community response is.

Craig

On Sep 3, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Dennis Reedy wrote:

>>> I am ready and willing to jump in, I am sure there are others as
>>> well.
>>
>> cool
>>
>> apache is often described as a do-ocracy: we get together to do stuff
>> - and the stuff we do is open source software :-)
>>
>> one way to start kicking things off would be for people that have
>> energy to start throwing around ideas about directions and
>> developments that interest them
>>
>> (hopefully other people will jump in with other suggestions about
>> ways
>> to break the ice)
>>

> Hi Robert,
>
> As a manner of introduction, I have been working with Jini
> technology for almost a decade and direct the Rio project (https://www.rio-project.org

> ) that uses Jini technology for a number of key capabilities. I have
> been in the "do" business for a number of years :)
>
> My concern with River is the inactivity and the eventual void that
> will be left when the Sun committers move on. Mark Hodapp had
> indicated that Sun's involvement is complete (see http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-river-dev/200808.mbox/%3c69A8C8DA-ED4C-4D32-8C9A-60A477E1681D@sun.com%3e)

> , and my subsequent reply for status (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-river-dev/200808.mbox/%3c0B8DC774-E5D3-4F23-B80E-66409BCC0E6D@gmail.com%3e

> ) was left unanswered.
>
> With Bob Scheifler's last email I would think that the project
> really needs to make a decision on how to move things forward. Its
> not just about fixing the issues that are in Jira (there are quite a
> few), but also a matter of relevance and visibility. Those of us
> that latched on to Jini technology back when it started, and had the
> opportunity to develop and deploy Jini technology based systems
> certainly want to keep the River flowing (sorry).
>
> If I can be of help, please let me know.
>
> Regards
>
> Dennis

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com