river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>
Subject Re: Jini, JavaSpaces, JEE, some questions, and some other development issues and ideas.
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 18:00:28 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Wade Chandler
> <hwadechandler-apache@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> What I'm getting at is those TOs can hold some logic used on both sides in the situations
where needed...

> AFAIK, you can serialized anything into the JavaSpace. The public
> field requirement is only for what can be used to look up those
> instances later.

Yes.

> The rest of this discussion is mostly about programming patterns, and
> every developer thinks he knows better.... ;o)

Yes, and no.  Some of this is about how Jini forces particular programming
patterns which may not seem to have obvious benefits.

There are many things which are explored in software systems design.  APIs are
changed, and the lessons learned, never are literally communicated, only the
APIs attempt to enforce them are visible.  Idempotent programming styles are
very advantageous.  Finding this out can be hard until you are "forced" to
program this way.

Gregg Wonderly