river-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Wright" <pdoubl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Outstanding ClassDep issues
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:16:47 GMT
Hi Mark

The main problem I've seen with ASM (as an end-user of libraries in
which it is used) is that the ASM team makes breaking API changes even
within minor releases. This causes no end of heartache if you inherit
an ASM dependency, at runtime, from two different libraries. The
workaround in that case is to use something like JarJar, which munges
package names to produce unique versions of the library. If you're
using ASM standalone it shouldn't be an issue, unless, again, other
dependencies cause a different version to land in your classpath. I've
run into this issue with ASM more than once just in the last
half-year. OTOH, it's a well-regarded library for what it does.

Regards
Patrick