river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: Outstanding ClassDep issues
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 20:42:29 GMT
Mark Brouwer wrote:

> I'm also curious to find out whether RIVER-163 can be fixed. From the
> bugparade I get the impression that the sun.tools.* API will be removed
> in time (see http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4633413)
> and given RIVER-272 I think it might be interesting to start looking for
> an alternative. From a quick scan it seems that ASM might do the trick
> and given the fact it is BSD licensed I see no reason not to depend on
> it. If there are opinions about a JRE vendor independent ClassDep and
> solution to RIVER-163 please let me know.

I currently have some sort of prototype based on the ASM core (only 42
KBytes) and it seems to tackle generics, annotations, instanceof and
maybe some other things that were missed by ClassDep.

While doing byte code analysis I'm also thinking of solving some other
issues with ClassDep, namely the fact that it can't find property files,
classes obtained through reflection, inclusion of icons. I realize that
not everything will be possible e.g. those cases where the 'resources'
are dynamically assembled instead of being referred by a constant.
Although it is my guess that it covers most cases.

I think for a full working version of ClassDep based on ASM there is
still a lot of work involved, something I don't envision for the next
release, but before spending more time on this I would like to have some
opinions on dragging in a third party library for this purpose, more
information about ASM such as the license is here http://asm.objectweb.org/
--
Mark