river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Outstanding ClassDep issues
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2008 21:33:41 GMT
Hi all,

Looking into other issues for ClassDep I noticed
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-82, RIVER-203, RIVER-163 and
RIVER-272.

With regard to RIVER-82 Fred's comments indicate something strange is
going on, I wonder what would be against using a Set for the found
classes instead of a List to filter out any duplicates, that will hide
the underlying problem?

With regard to RIVER-230 I'm wondering whether the request for
improvement is "a good thing", given the fact that ClassDep specifies
Platform specific classpaths and file paths. I don't think we should
take 'advantage' of the fact Java also accepts the wrong file separator
for the Windows platform. I believe that Ant can provide the proper
abstraction layer so you won't run into any problems as the build files
of the River project show, or that other Ant tasks on top of ClassDep
provide. Personally I would like to close RIVER-203 as "Won't fix", but
maybe I'm missing something, so please shoot if my reasoning is wrong.

I'm also curious to find out whether RIVER-163 can be fixed. From the
bugparade I get the impression that the sun.tools.* API will be removed
in time (see http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4633413)
and given RIVER-272 I think it might be interesting to start looking for
an alternative. From a quick scan it seems that ASM might do the trick
and given the fact it is BSD licensed I see no reason not to depend on
it. If there are opinions about a JRE vendor independent ClassDep and
solution to RIVER-163 please let me know.

Regards,
--
Mark