river-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VOTING ISSUE with apache-river-2.1.1-incubating
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:32:55 GMT
On Jan 5, 2008 12:53 PM, Jim Hurley <jim.hurley@mac.com> wrote:
> Yep - we expected there would be some growing pain in learning
> the ASF ways of getting a release out.  It was actually one one of the
> reasons we first though of putting out this release (AR1) without a lot
> of functionality changes.

sounds like a good plan

the first release is the first chance that the IPMC gets to review the
codebase. this often involves tidying up and understanding provenance,
dependencies and other legal-related issues.

the IPMC is also interested in helping to improve the quality of
releases so there's quite a lot of pushing and proding. apache has
built up quite a wealth of experience over the years but there's also
a lot we can learn from existing projects. expect any practices which
are unfamiliar to us to be questioned. i recommend you to defend those
which make sense and discard those which don't.

BTW we're working on the release documentation ATM over on general.
it's a collegiate effort, trying to write up opinions about best
practice. all welcome.

- robert