river-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Barnaby <Frank.Barn...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Layout for River Distribution Site
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:28:20 GMT

On Jan 14, 2008, at 06:31, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Jan 14, 2008 5:01 AM, Jim Hurley <jim.hurley@mac.com> wrote:
>> Sorry for the delay in responding...
>
> Me too...
>
>> Thanks for making the proposal -- I like the layout, and appreciate
>> that it's similar to other Apache projects.  Nice job.
>>
>> Does anyone have any objections?
>
> Looks good to me, with some comments:
>
> * I'd drop the symlinks. There's been some reports about symlink
> problems with some mirrors, and I don't think they add too much value.
> If we want to provide direct links to the latest downloads, we can do
> that on the web site.

Good tip.  However, the downloads web page is a simple directory index
with content prepended by the web server.  Unless we change the
directory
index to a specific html file, we cannot create the links that you
suggest.

To prevent problems with the mirrors, I'd prefer to just remove the
top-level
links and leave the releases in their respective, versioned sub-
directories,
in which case we'd have the following layout:

	HEADER.html
	README.html
	binaries/<version>/{KEYS,*.zip,*.md5,*.sha*}
	source/<version>/{KEYS,*.zip,*.md5,*.sha*}

I'm sure users will be able to locate the latest release easy enough.
This
approach will also simplify distribution maintenance.

> * It's probably cleaner to keep just a single KEYS file at the top
> level of the hierarchy.

My concern with the KEYS file was that I could imagine the possibility
of multiple committers generating project releases, which means the
KEYS file would differ
with each committer generating releases.  Placing the KEYS file with its
corresponding release seemed to be the right approach.  Not linking
the KEYS
file at the top is addressed in my previous comments above.

Thank you for the comments Jukka.

Frank