river-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Barnaby <Frank.Barn...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Distributing River Releases
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2008 23:23:13 GMT
Hi Robert,

Thank you for your response.

On Jan 2, 2008, at 18:01, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> as you may be aware, incubator policy has recently changed. new
> releases from the incubator need to use the standard apache
> distribution system.

According to the web pages that I've visited, I believe I am aware
of that process.

> the incubator documentation is still in progress
> (http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-distribution
> patches or feedback welcomed on general ;-)

Yes, that's the page that I've been reading, which means that I'm on
the right track.

> so i've volunteered to
> walk podlings though this process until the documentations good
> enough.

Good to know--thanks for volunteering.

> it's getting late now for me so i'm not sure i'll be on line for

We're just preparing for our first incubator release, which will
probably happen early next week, so tomorrow will be fine.

> so, if you haven't already, please take a
> look at the existing documentation
> (http://www.apache.org/dev/#releases and
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-distribution)
> .
> if there are any questions these don't answer, i'll be glad to jump in
> tomorrow.
>
> the first step is that i need to ensure all your old releases are
> archived for the historic record. so i need to know if you have any
> and where they are.

As I said above, we're just preparing our first incubator release, so
we do not have any old releases that need archiving.

> there are a number of decisions that need to be taken by the community
> about layout and mirroring. it's probably a good time to start
> discussing this now. i also recommend that you start documenting the
> release process (if you haven't done so already).

Thanks--we'll get right on it.

> (apologies for being so brusk)

No apologies needed.  We appreciate your willingness to help.

Frank