river-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Barnaby <Frank.Barn...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [Vote] Apache River 2.1.1 Incubating Release
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:49:17 GMT

On Jan 14, 2008, at 06:53, sebb wrote:

> On 14/01/2008, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I guess the checksums were generated with default Solaris tools. You
>> can use "openssl md5" and "openssl sha1" to generate checksum output
>> in the format Sebastian described.
>
> Well, the format is closer, as the hash is not broken over two lines,
> for example:
>
> MD5(filename)= 464069695e3ac4998898d0633f8df032

The format of the MD5 files for projects at Apache appear to
be inconsistent at best.  Out of approximately 57 projects
with a total of 2784 md5 files (probably less since I didn't
think to exclude sym-links) in the dist directory, I've
counted at least 7 different formats:

     most common format (1504 md5 files: 54%):

	"checksum"
	(sum only with no white space)

     second most common format (976 md5 files: 35%):

	"checksum filename"

     third most common format (269 md5 files: 10%):

	"MD5 (filename) = checksum"
	(with 2 or 3 variations in terms of white space)

And then there are a few other formats that I won't bother
to mention.

The following projects are just a subset of projects which
use the most common format:

	ant
	avalon
	commons
	db
	excalibur
	geronimo
	hivemind
	jackrabbit
	lucene
	maven
	struts
	tomcat

The following projects, among others, use the second most common
format, and you'll notice that some of these also appear in the
above list.

	avalon
	commons
	excalibur
	httpd
	lucene
	maven
	struts
	tomcat

Consistency is clearly absent with regard to MD5 formats.  Apache
Commons, for example, uses three different MD5 formats.

I'm tempted to go with the most common practice, which is to only
use the checksum in the *.md5 files.  Comments?

Frank