river-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Hurley <Jim.Hur...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: new CWiki (Was: Re: Branching strategy (Was: svn commit: r601098 - /incubator/river/trunk/jtsk/doc/release-notes/index.html))
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 22:57:31 GMT
On Dec 18, 2007, at 5:26 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:
> Jim Hurley wrote:
>> :
>> First off - I'd like to publicly thank Marc Prud'hommeaux (OpenJPA
>> project) for all his help in getting as far as I got.  The OpenJPA
>> project (<http://openjpa.apache.org>) uses a confluence wiki for
>> their
>> main site.  I thought it looked very nice - so asked if we could use
>> the design as a jumping off point.  There are a bunch of files and
>> conventions to get it to work, and Marc has been patient and very
>> helpful in getting us started.
>> The staging site is at:   <http://cwiki.apache.org/RIVER>
>> The problem I've been trying to fix (open to any suggestions) is
>> that the right hand nav bar gets doubled.
>> Other than that, we've got a decent start on some of the pages.
>> Please take a look. I want to clean up the top banner, and some
>> of the colors, but interested (in general) on what you think.
>
> I read most of it and it looks good, except for the top bar as you
> mentioned and the 'Issue Tracker' link on the main page still
> points to
> the OpenJPA JIRA.

Thanks - fixed that.

> Maybe the other colors should also be more in line
> with the colors the Apache River (Jini) logo.

Yep - that's what I was thinking... but first wanted to just get
everything
to display correctly before I started mucking with the colors, etc.
Would
surely welcome anyone with more artistic skills to help.  Also, still
haven't
solved the double right nav problem. (Ideas anyone? Anyone?)

> I added myself as user 'marbro' to Confluence but I think I should
> be made (and the other committers) part of some groups as I'm not
> allowed to edit pages.

You need to be added to the river-committers group to edit (MarkB --
I just added you).

For those committers interested, sign up for a confluence account at:
<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/signup.action>
and then let me know -- I'll add you into the group.

I also don't believe you have to be a committer to edit the site
(just have filed
an Individual Contributors License Agreement (CLA)).  If you're
interested
(and have filed a CLA with Apache) -- please let me know.

> Is there an additional document or posting that explains how the exact
> transformation from the Confluence Wiki to this main site works, I
> read
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CWIKI/Index but I think I
> need something else. That way maybe I can also try to understand
> why the
> navigation got doubled.

The http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI page explains some about the
autoexport
that takes place (to generate HTML).  There is an autoexport template
that
I copied over from openjpa:
<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/admin/autoexport/template-
edit.action?space=RIVER>
You certainly have to be logged in to Confluence to be able to see that,
but you may also need to be the space admin (I'm not sure), so you may
not be able to access that.

There are also css style sheets, etc that I 'borrowed' from openjpa.
You can see
that stuff at http://people.apache.org/~jhurley

> One thing I like of the OpenJPA site and which doesn't seem to have
> made it into the River site is their PoweredBy list, I think we should
> have something similar in the future where people can enlist their
> product when it utilizes the River distribution for their Jini based
> products.

*Absolutely*.  I wanted to get things up and running first, and then add
in that (as well as other stuff).  Getting a "PoweredBy" -like list
would be
hugely valuable for River/Jini... but I think will take a little bit
of focused
effort, so I thought we could come back around to that in a second pass
(once the site was up and running).

thanks -Jim