river-dev mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Project status...noticed something in the docs for AR1 said to write to this list to find out more.
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:07:10 GMT
Hey all,

Can anyone point me to a road map with information, or can anyone give me a rundown of the
River project status and future plans? Is it still being developed? Any other information?
I'm looking over it, and am trying to figure out what would be best to use between it, OSGi,
and the NB Module System to embed in either a web application or as a separate server and
service which can support hot pluggable and discoverable services which I can use and also
easily find out about.

I know in NB I could use the Lookup service, and depending on the design of the services and
modules I can house them and hot update them, and I could embed other things such as AXIS
to provide a mechanism for remote connectivity, but this says nothing for clustering or scalability.
Same problem with OSGi in that regard. They are more module type systems which support services
internally, but are not designed to be scalable in the networked sense.

If I can get something going with JINI I would certainly be interested in helping on the project
and contributing. I just need a little guidance. Am I clear enough in what I want to do for
someone to know if it is possible to do this with JINI at the moment?

Basically, I have a set of data services provided through a standardized small set of web
services which allow the data service name to be provided along with parameters, and they
generate at times very large documents....quarter GB or more, and I return them as attachments.
Zipped these files are much smaller though.

 Anyways, the point is I would like to make this system more scalable than standard web services,
and more simple to manage. I can install services in the backend etc, but this does nothing
for scalable discoverability (JINI join I assume) nor scalable network services in that I
install a data service and it tells the rest of the group about itself so I can make calls
to this service. It would even be nice to have the ability to have this service be able to
live in multiple containers, them be called at different times for the same service, and them
just scale and play well together much like clustering Tomcat instances and the way it handles
calls to the web application.

So, in short, looking for the project status, some guidance, and I'm interested in contributing
if I can make it a win win situation: I work on it, and use it.

Thanks,

Wade

Wade Chandler, CCE
Software Engineer and Developer, Certified Forensic Computer Examiner, NetBeans Dream Team
Member, and NetBeans Board Member
http://www.certified-computer-examiner.com
http://www.netbeans.org