river-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VOTING ISSUE with apache-river-2.1.1-incubating
Date Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:13:28 GMT
Hi,

Available at http://people.apache.org/~jukka/river/2.1.1/apache-river-2.1.1-incubating.rat

>  * The Notice mentions that the release contains Copyrighted material from Sun
>    Microsystems. That is Ok, but it should also mention that Sun has licensed
>    this to ASF under ALv2.

Do we need to do that in the NOTICE file? I wouldn't mind doing that,
but should the NOTICE file carry the licensing histories as well as
copyright notices? The fact that the code is ALv2 licensed is already
stated in LICENSE and we have the paper trail for the contribution.

For example, the example NOTICE file at
http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt doesn't contain
licensing histories.

>  * The Notice mentions the Service UI project, developed by several
>    individuals, but doesn't mention any licensing. If the ServiceUI was ALv2
>    from the beginning, then mention that. If it was something else, I think
>    that could possibly be an encumbered codebase, depending on circumstances.
>    I suggest that the Mentor(s) list this for investigation, and clarify the
>    result both in the incubating status file as well as in the NOTICE.

See above. We have a software grant for the ServiceUI contribution
which makes it distributable under ALv2. Of course we could better
document the licensing history (previously under Sun Community Source
License), but I'm not sure it's necessary or even relevant.

BR,

Jukka Zitting