river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: VOTING ISSUE with apache-river-2.1.1-incubating
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:27:55 GMT
Bob Scheifler wrote:
> Perhaps I missed some discussion, but I'm confused why the
> source bundle contains fully generated api and spec javadoc trees?
> In fact, should it have a top-level doc directory at all?
> Seems wrong to me.  Perhaps it's to make the top-level

It was my impression that we wanted to keep the reorganization of
the distributions to a minimum so that when the source and binary
distribution is overlayed you end up with the same layout as the JTSK
distribution. I think that requirement is responsible for the somewhat
odd layout, at least compared to how the average Apache project provides
its binary and source distribution.

> index.html functional if you don't download and overlay the
> binary release, but that seems pretty hacky to me.

No top-level doc directory and a BUILDING.txt (only included in the
source distribution) that mentions that the actual build instructions
can be found in source/doc/build.html would solve this. For me no need
to do this as part of AR1, but an example BUILDING.txt is attached.

B.T.W. building from the source distribution is OK now.
--
Mark