river-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Barnaby <Frank.Barn...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: VOTING ISSUE with apache-river-2.1.1-incubating
Date Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:40:40 GMT

To be clear, the classes and jars both build fine by using the "all"
and "jars" ant targets.  The javadoc no longer builds for the end user
because of the addition of the url pointing to the NOTICE file to
allow for stand-alone javadoc distributions.  The release zip files
also cannot be generated through the use of the "build.release"
target.  While the javadoc should build for the end user, we never
intended the end user to build release bundles.  However, I think it
looks bad to have a build target that fails for the end user--I agree
that we should either fix it or remove it from the end user build

By fixing the javadoc end-user build, the release build will be fixed
as well.  The fix will require me to add the NOTICE and LICENSE files
to the source sub-directory in the source distribution.  Note that the
source distribution already contains the NOTICE and LICENSE files in
the top level, but the doc and release builds are not aware of those
top-level files.  After committing the changes, I'll generate another
release, another set of corresponding signature and check-sum files,
upload the files to people-apache.org, some folks can do some sanity
tests, and we can start another vote.  Did I overlook any steps?

Is this course of action we want to pursue?

On Dec 23, 2007, at 14:16, Mark Brouwer wrote:

> Lately I was too entangled in trying to verify whether Frank is really
> who he says he is and therefore I haven't tested the distributions
> other
> than building from SVN.
> Before voting I tried to build from the source and I can't due to:
> D:\tmp\apache-river-2.1.1\source\build_common.xml:877: Warning: Could
> not find file D:\tmp\apache-river-2.1.1\source\NOTICE to copy.
> I think we shouldn't release a source distribution that doesn't
> actually
> build. But before voting I would like to know whether we can fix this
> issue after we approved the release and before presenting a
> distribution
> to Incubator. I hope so because I don't want to spoil the party.
> --
> Mark

View raw message