river-dev mailing list archives

From "Mike Francis" <mike.fran...@paremus.com>
Subject RE: Project status...noticed something in the docs for AR1 said to write to this list to find out more.
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 08:04:27 GMT
Wade

How about best of two of those worlds, Jini & OSGi? The Newton open source
project (www.codecauldron.org) fuses OSGi & Jini together.

There is a commercial product too called Infiniflow (www.paremus.com).

Regards
Mike (Paremus)

-----Original Message-----
From: Wade Chandler [mailto:hwadechandler-apache@yahoo.com]
Sent: 12 December 2007 18:07
To: river-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Project status...noticed something in the docs for AR1 said to
write to this list to find out more.

Hey all,

Can anyone point me to a road map with information, or can anyone give me a
rundown of the River project status and future plans? Is it still being
developed? Any other information? I'm looking over it, and am trying to
figure out what would be best to use between it, OSGi, and the NB Module
System to embed in either a web application or as a separate server and
service which can support hot pluggable and discoverable services which I
can use and also easily find out about.

I know in NB I could use the Lookup service, and depending on the design of
the services and modules I can house them and hot update them, and I could
embed other things such as AXIS to provide a mechanism for remote
connectivity, but this says nothing for clustering or scalability. Same
problem with OSGi in that regard. They are more module type systems which
support services internally, but are not designed to be scalable in the
networked sense.

If I can get something going with JINI I would certainly be interested in
helping on the project and contributing. I just need a little guidance. Am I
clear enough in what I want to do for someone to know if it is possible to
do this with JINI at the moment?

Basically, I have a set of data services provided through a standardized
small set of web services which allow the data service name to be provided
along with parameters, and they generate at times very large
documents....quarter GB or more, and I return them as attachments. Zipped
these files are much smaller though.

 Anyways, the point is I would like to make this system more scalable than
standard web services, and more simple to manage. I can install services in
the backend etc, but this does nothing for scalable discoverability (JINI
join I assume) nor scalable network services in that I install a data
service and it tells the rest of the group about itself so I can make calls
to this service. It would even be nice to have the ability to have this
service be able to live in multiple containers, them be called at different
times for the same service, and them just scale and play well together much
like clustering Tomcat instances and the way it handles calls to the web
application.

So, in short, looking for the project status, some guidance, and I'm
interested in contributing if I can make it a win win situation: I work on
it, and use it.

Thanks,

Wade

==================
Wade Chandler, CCE
Software Engineer and Developer, Certified Forensic Computer Examiner,
NetBeans Dream Team Member, and NetBeans Board Member
http://www.certified-computer-examiner.com
http://www.netbeans.org

This email has been scanned by both Message Labs and Paremus internal
systems for viruses and inappropriate attachments.  Email suspected of
carrying a virus payload or inappropriate attachment will not be delivered
to you, and the sender will receive an appropriate warning notice.

Paremus Limited. Registered in England
 No. 4181472
 Registered Office: St Alphage House, 2 Fore Street, London, EC2Y 5DH Postal Address: 107-111
Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2AB
The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.