river-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Ramsdale" <jeff.ramsd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concurrency and River
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 05:55:55 GMT
Hi Bill,

I agree with much of what you're saying, but I wonder if by the end
you were distracted by a number of interesting things you've been
playing with lately. This thread started out about the marketing pitch
that can be made for Apache River but ended up way far out of the
mainstream.

I think the idea of a distributed JUnit server is compelling (see
http://www.jini.org/files/meetings/ninth/Cruisecontrol/Cruisecontrol.pdf)
and could be a wonderful pitch for Jini. But if that introduction
requires Scala and SuiteRunner it's no longer accessible to most folk
and thus not effective as marketing copy. You do mention at the end
that people could distribute JUnit tests, but that really needs to be
the starting point if getting the gospel out is what we're going for.
In other words, if Scala and SuiteRunner are better ways of doing
things then I'm all for them, but you can't require them in pursuit of
the goal of wide adoption.

Jeff