river-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Barnaby <Frank.Barn...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Build file question
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:42:14 GMT

On Oct 9, 2007, at 8:26 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:

> 1) I would like to know what the opinion is about the file mask for
> the
> start scripts (files ending on .sh). Should there be write access for
> all, just for the user and group, just for the user or should it be
> read
> only.
>
> Personally I prefer 755, i.e. for all the execute and read bit are
> set and only the user can edit the file, please your feedback.

+1

> 2) I noticed that the binary distribution doesn't contain the
> examples,
> is this intentional? It is my understanding that the source
> distribution
> is for those who want to build the project and the binary distribution
> is for those who want to run the project with no intention to build
> it.
> Therefore IMHO it seem logical the examples are part of the binary
> distribution.

The binary and source distributions in their current state represent an
initial attempt to separate the two types of bundles.  We're now at a
point were the community can discuss what should or should not go into
those bundles.

Let's start with the examples.  It makes perfect sense to add the
examples
to the binary distribution, but the details need to be discussed.  Since
the examples originally existed in the source component of the Jini
distribution, and the source tree does not currently exist in the binary
distribution, we'll need to relocate the examples directory for at least
the binary bundle.  Is it reasonable to place the examples tree in the
top-level of the binary distribution (includes example src, doc, and
jars)?

If it is decided to locate the examples in the top-level of the binary
distribution, I'd be tempted to do the same for the source distribution
for the sake of consistency.  However, that would probably include
removing
the example tree from the depths of the source tree, which I seem to
recall
as an unresolved consideration in the past.

Frank