river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Build file question
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:06:21 GMT
Bob Scheifler wrote:
> Mark Brouwer wrote:
>
>> If rebuilding the examples is a goal then I think it is best to have a
>> separate build file just for the examples. Such a build file could also
>> serve as a template for people that want to build their own services.
>>
>> It should utilize the various JAR files part of the binary distribution.
>

> +1
>
> Perhaps more than is wanted to be tackled for AR1.

+1

This is an important item to me.  I think it would help document the assembly of
a Jini service environment from the ground up.  This should include running
depandjar and all of that stuff.  Having this as a more production looking build
tool would be great.  I could imagine seeing the top level build being something
like

o import the base build scripts
o define properties for service jar name etc.
o define properties for config file name, policy file etc.
o define my service's classpath
o define the things to control depandjar

The base build would build the service jar, a -dl.jar, javadoc as well as allow
you to "run" the service inside the service starter framework by using a
generated config file.

Useful?  Possible?

Gregg Wonderly