river-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Scheifler <Bob.Scheif...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Build file question
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:58:08 GMT
Frank Barnaby wrote:
> Let's start with the examples.

Are you just talking about the "hello" example, or are you including
the browser?  In the original release the browser is treated as a
tool, despite being in the com.sun.jini.example namespace.

> Is it reasonable to place the examples tree in the
> top-level of the binary distribution (includes example src, doc, and jars)?

That's going to require quite a few changes to relative paths in hello files.
The hello example documentation covers how to rebuild the example
if you make edits, would the binary distribution support rebuilding
the hello example?

> If it is decided to locate the examples in the top-level of the binary
> distribution, I'd be tempted to do the same for the source distribution
> for the sake of consistency.

In the original build process, building "from the top" built the
examples along with everything else.  Would that be maintained, or
would they become layered builds?

> However, that would probably include removing
> the example tree from the depths of the source tree, which I seem to recall
> as an unresolved consideration in the past.

I think the main questions are what you want a build-from-the-top to do
in the source distribution, and whether you do or don't want the .java
sources for the examples in the same tree as all other sources.

- Bob