river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Build file question
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:26:00 GMT
Hi all,

I'm working on making sure that the start scripts in the ZIP file have
the proper file mask and as this is the first time I'm working on the
JTSK build file I noticed something uncommon for me, the right angle
bracket for empty elements are outlined as follows:

     <include name="build.xml"                   />
     <include name="build_common.xml"            />

It reminds me a bit of making graphics on a punch card and that brings
back good memories of the innocent days when you came home from school
and your mother had tea with a cookie.

Still I'm curious to know the rationale behind it, especially since tabs
(8 spaces) are used within the lines. Another thing I noticed is that
indentation is 2 characters here (I find this is a bit inconsistent ...).

Probably some more important issues:

1) I would like to know what the opinion is about the file mask for the
start scripts (files ending on .sh). Should there be write access for
all, just for the user and group, just for the user or should it be read
only.

Personally I prefer 755, i.e. for all the execute and read bit are
set and only the user can edit the file, please your feedback.

2) I noticed that the binary distribution doesn't contain the examples,
is this intentional? It is my understanding that the source distribution
is for those who want to build the project and the binary distribution
is for those who want to run the project with no intention to build it.
Therefore IMHO it seem logical the examples are part of the binary
distribution.
--
Mark