river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r582986 - in /incubator/river/trunk/jtsk: build_common.xml doc/build.html doc/htmlbook/ doc/index.html doc/specs/ doc/specs/html/ index.html
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:34:16 GMT
Zsolt Kúti wrote:
> Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:50:29 +0200: Látszólag Mark Brouwer véste
> elektronokba/apparently Mark Brouwer carved into e-lectrons:
>
>> I noticed that you decided to add the tar.gz distribution and
>> it appears to raise an issue (which you also mentioned in
>> RIVER-266), namely the 100 character limitation. I don't know
>> whether that is an issue already as of today, but it might be
>> tomorrow.
> http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/tar/tar_114.html
> "In theory, GNU tar should be able to handle file names of
> practically unlimited length. So, if GNU tar fails to dump and
> retrieve files having more than 100 characters, then there is a
> bug in GNU tar, indeed."
> "POSIX later revised P1003.1 ustar format by assigning previously
> unused header fields, in such a way that the upper limit for file
> name length was raised to 256 characters."

Hi Zsolt,

I started reading the page you sent and after 1 minute I realized why it
was that I'm against duplication of whatever for no other benefit than
that it is possible, because there is simply no choice in IT that is
completely free.

When there is only one ZIP file that can do what it needs to do, people
don't have to think what to download and I consider that a good thing ;-)
--
Marx Brouwer

"A commodity appears at first sight an extremely obvious, trivial thing.
But its analysis brings out that it is a very strange thing, abounding
in metaphysical subtleties and theological niceties."

Karl Marx