river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r582986 - in /incubator/river/trunk/jtsk: build_common.xml doc/build.html doc/htmlbook/ doc/index.html doc/specs/ doc/specs/html/ index.html
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 08:50:29 GMT
fbarnaby@apache.org wrote:

> +<!-- @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> +
> +    <delete file="${src.tar.bundle}"/>
> +
> +##
> +## TODO:
> +##
> +## Investigate how to deal with the tar task's 100-character limitation.
> +##

Hi Frank,

I noticed that you decided to add the tar.gz distribution and it appears
to raise an issue (which you also mentioned in RIVER-266), namely
the 100 character limitation. I don't know whether that is an issue
already as of today, but it might be tomorrow.

You indicated that supplying a tar.gz format made sense because it
allows you to retain the file mask, but I argued the same can be
accomplished with specifying the filemask as part of the zip task,
something that still needs to be done and which I will take care of if
you don't mind.

Although probably most will ask why is that person so bothered by the
tar.gz distribution, but I can't find any rationale for supporting the
tar format besides that it can be done (but this is true for so many
distribution formats). Note that this is from a person who many years
ago also provided tar distributions to UNIX customers, but those were
uncompressed versions ;-)
--
Mark