river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: downloads
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2007 07:48:39 GMT
Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:43:53 -0400, Bob Scheifler wrote:
>
>> Jim Hurley wrote:
>>> what download formats do you think we should provide?
>> Seems pretty common for Apache projects to provide both .zip and .tar.gz.
>
> This is not only for convenience: many projects have starter scripts and
> zip tends to lose the x bits, making it "harder" to get something running
> out of the box. A minor nuisance, but still..

The ZIP format allows for file mask information, the Ant zipfileset
element provides you the ability to specify them. I even often dislike
the user and group information that slips into the tar format.

Personally I believe the ZIP format is more than sufficient as history
has shown, never did I run into any problems the last 5 years on
Solaris, various Linux distributions, AIX and Windows with unpacking a
distribution in ZIP format.

Although most other Apache projects support the tar.gz format I see no
compelling reason to do so, there are also projects such as Jackrabbit
e.g. that only have a distribution in the ZIP format, they even suggest
using the jar utility to unpack (the files even have the .jar
extension). And when there is no real reason I would suggest to keep
things to a minimum.
--
Mark