river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: Concurrency and River
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 09:53:28 GMT
Hi Bill,

Your posting related to your intentions with SuiteRunner and
Jini/JavaSpaces made me think a bit more about the relation between Java
and Scala, so I have some additional questions.

Mark Brouwer wrote:

> Also Scala is lacking a strong security model which, if you take code
> mobility into account, seems to be a necessity.

I think I talked BS here, and I need some help to really try to
understand the relation between Scala en Java the Platform and verify
whether I made an incorrect statement.

The reason why I said Scala is lacking a strong security model was
because when I first read about Scala the language (over a year ago) I
read about Scala for the JVM and .Net and that Scala the language could
easily integrate with Java en C#.

So for me Scala represented:

   the language
   the class libraries written in Scala (packages scala.)
   the VM (either .Net or JVM)

At that time I found no notion of a security model in the documentation
or the API. But now that I looked better I even can't find a String
class or IO libraries etc. in the class libraries. When looking at some
examples and reading some documentation I noticed that a string resolves
to java.lang.String and that the Java libraries are almost used for
everything low level (networking, IO, etc.).

Am I correct that Scala the environment actually represents:

   the language
   the class libraries written in Scala
   the class libraries as specified for the Java Platform
   the JVM (I can't find a reference for .net anymore on
            http://www.scala-lang.org/)

Or in other words is a requirement for Scala that Java the class
libraries is available. If that is the case it seems Scala inherits the
Java security model by default and I would qualify it to be on par, i.e.
having a strong security model. Although I don't know whether in that
case 'Scala the class libraries' also call into
SecurityManager/AccessController to protect certain operations.

If the above assumption is true and the integration of Scala and Java is
seamless then one could argue that everything that is available to Java
is available to Scala. Wouldn't that mean that there are a huge number
of web frameworks, unit test frameworks and also distributed
technologies available to Scala. Or is it the case that while they are
available there is some idiom mismatch when being used in Scale and that
for that reason you want to have a pure Scala SuiteRunner, one that will
rely though on a lot of calls into the Java class libraries.

The reason why I also ask is that e.g. Seven is a great development and
deployment Platform for Jini services that solves a great bunch of
things that are quite hard to arrange yourself (code mobility and
configuration only a few of them) and if there could be Scala version of
the JSC API that runs on top of the Java version I think the Scala
environment would have a another nice distributed computing platform
which could cooperate between any other Jini service, either implemented
in pure Java or a mixture of Scala and Java.

I can even imagine that there can be layers over the current net.jini
utilities as part of the River project that would bring them into the
Scala idiom.
--
Mark