river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Concurrency and River
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 19:59:10 GMT
Rick Moynihan wrote:
> My guess is that they probably are solving *some* problems Jini has solved,
> but that Jini from the outside appears to be about synchronous
> RPC/RMI-like communication (even though it's not necessarily).

One of the primary arguments I get for Jini in places that I've tried to hype
it, is that it requires Java.  Now this is from the same crowds that are happy
that SOAP requires XML, or that REST requires(or is) HTTP servers.  So, I'm not
sure how they justify, to themselves the requirement of one technology that is
at a programming language level as been worse than a technology that is at the
network layer/transport/encoding level which still makes it have to be everywhere.

Many of the arguments are about the fact that they believe that they'll have to
rewrite all of the existing apps to exploit Jini technologies.  I guess they
think that they can just rewrite "parts" of their applications to use "XML"/SOAP
for messaging, or HTTP for transfers.

For me, this gets back to some of the issues that we haven't provided concrete
examples for.  I.e. we don't have an example use of a JERI ILFactory that does
something besides native method invocation.  We probably need to demonstrate how
one might talk to a Javaspace, from .NET using SOAP for example.  The point of
such an example would be to demonstrate that it's possible.  It might also be
interesting to do an HTTP ILFactory that provided the translation from method
calls to HTTP POST operations.  For me, this is not exciting, nor do I need it.
  But, we do have people in the community which are doing cool things to put
Jini into the web services world.

Somehow we need to help people understand that Jini no longer requires RMI on
both ends, let alone Java.  Without traceable examples with well thoughtout
scenarios and great documentation, I don't know how to make the point.

I've tried and tried to no avail, and I'm ready to throw in the towel on being
able to make the point with the arguments I can muster.

Gregg Wonderly