river-dev mailing list archives

From Zsolt Kúti <kuti.zs...@cetelem.hu>
Subject Re: svn commit: r582986 - in /incubator/river/trunk/jtsk: build_common.xml doc/build.html doc/htmlbook/ doc/index.html doc/specs/ doc/specs/html/ index.html
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 09:30:51 GMT
Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:50:29 +0200: Látszólag Mark Brouwer véste
elektronokba/apparently Mark Brouwer carved into e-lectrons:

> I noticed that you decided to add the tar.gz distribution and
> it appears to raise an issue (which you also mentioned in
> RIVER-266), namely the 100 character limitation. I don't know
> whether that is an issue already as of today, but it might be
> tomorrow.
http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/tar/tar_114.html
"In theory, GNU tar should be able to handle file names of
practically unlimited length. So, if GNU tar fails to dump and
retrieve files having more than 100 characters, then there is a
bug in GNU tar, indeed."
"POSIX later revised P1003.1 ustar format by assigning previously
unused header fields, in such a way that the upper limit for file
name length was raised to 256 characters."

> Although probably most will ask why is that person so bothered
> by the tar.gz distribution, but I can't find any rationale for
Yes, it is just a format that is customary on unices.
Although tar.gz (tgz) archives usually smaller, this probably not
a compelling reason; tradition, politness, whatever might be :-)
My preference usually downloading tgz if there is choice, but
now I realize it's mostly unconscious with no hard
justification :-)

Zsolt