river-dev mailing list archives

From "Holger Hoffstaette" <hol...@wizards.de>
Subject Re: API docs/specs availability
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:18:22 GMT

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:23:03 -0400, Jim Hurley wrote:

>> OPEN
>> =====
>> :
>> * Should API docs (specs) and docs be available separately?
>
> We've typically done this in the past with the starter kit (and I think
> it's been helpful/useful) - so I'm guessing the sentiment on this is
> 'yes'.  If anyone feels differently, please speak up.

Absolutely +1 from this newbie lurker. Are there any other documents that
might be helpful to new people looking at Jini/JavaSpaces? There is a long
list of background reading material that we could point people to. I'm
mostly familiar with everything around Spaces/Linda/concurrency since I
just did a thesis on it and literally had to read it all :) but maybe more
exists inside Sun/the Jini group? I found the material collected by Bill
Venners on Artima to be really good.

Maybe somewhat off-topic for this thread, but I guess what I'm really
trying to say is - as River gains more exposure, people will inevitably
look at Jini and especially Spaces and ask "where's the beef?". I know
first hand that even the finer points of spaces seem to be too much for
most people ("..can't we just use a replicated cache? it's less weird and
proprietary!!"), which is quite frustrating.

regards
Holger