river-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: moderator...
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:33:11 GMT

On Sep 26, 2007, at 10:40 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:

> Jim Hurley wrote:
>> I'm already one of the moderators on the river-dev list...  I'd like
>> to volunteer to help moderate the other (e.g., river-commits)
>> river lists
>> as well.
>> Hoping there's some other volunteers from the river/jini community
>> as well.
>
> I don't know whether one needs an ASF account to be able to
> moderate, I
> couldn't find a clear answer searching for it. Moderation is
> explicitly
> mentioned at the committers FAQ, so that might be a hint. Mentors?

Moderators have a responsibility to keep the spam away from the
lists, so although I don't know that there is a rule, I'd say
committers are the primary source for moderators. The only technical
requirement I know of is that you have an email address.

> BTW IIRC Bob S. once volunteered to become moderator upon a request of
> Jukka, although I don't know whether he actually became one. If so,
> with
> Jim and Frank we have 3, but I also don't know whether they
> moderate for
> all 3 lists which seems the most handy.
>
> If 3 ain't enough, or there is a need for presence in another timezone
> I've no problem to moderate as well.

Three is usually enough. I've seen cases where one or two are not due
to moderators being on vacation. Time zone isn't a big issue, as the
only effect of slow moderation is a delay in the first-time post of a
user (or system-generated message as we've seen here).

Craig
> --
> Mark

Craig Russell