river-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: development process
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:01:22 GMT
On 8/29/07, Bob Scheifler <Bob.Scheifler@sun.com> wrote:
> Craig L Russell wrote:
> > I don't know of a project (here or elsewhere) that votes on code
> > changes.
>
> Then why is it #1 on http://apache.org/foundation/voting.html?

What is being called out here is the distinguishing characteristic of
decisions regarding code modifications (either individual commits,
branch merges or modification plans). These are subject to *veto* -
i.e., a single -1 is enough for a negative outcome.  We rarely
formally VOTE on code-related issues though, preferring to reach
consensus via discussion.  Lazy consensus does fail now and then,
though - i.e., -1's on commits do occur and in this case the committer
is expected to reverse the commit.

Phil