river-dev mailing list archives

From "Gianugo Rabellino" <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What do we want our "main trunk" to be? (was development process)
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:29:23 GMT
On 9/4/07, John McClain - Sun Microsystems, Inc. <John.McClain@sun.com> wrote:

> How do Apache projects treat their main trunks?

Of course, not in a uniform way. :-) Speaking from experience:

- generally speaking, trunk should always be in working state. Shaky
is fine, while broken isn't.
- breaking the build is not a capital sin but fixing it is considered
a top priority
- trunk is open to innovation, which might include some sort of
experiments, usually requiring a headsup to the community
- some communities have set up a "whiteboard" svn space for brave and
potentially dangerous stuff
- Apache's "Rules for revolutionaries"[1] apply

HTH,

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/learn/rules-for-revolutionaries.html

--
Gianugo Rabellino