river-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Hurley <Jim.Hur...@Sun.COM>
Subject Sept Board report - comments
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:12:45 GMT
Just passing along the reviewers comments from our Sept Board report.

iPMC Reviewers: wrowe, bdelacretaz, yoavs, jim

iPMC Comments:

Good to see the crypto notice issues are being addressed. Since svn
will change only once, but the artifacts can land in many places, it's
easiest to base the notification's location on the svn source and then
provide an update at graduation (when code moves
from ../incubator/river -> ../river). [wrowe]

Curious if it might be confusing to users going from the first to second
milestone release to discover the com.sun. -> org.apache. update?
[wrowe]

The community should feel free to come up with some combination of
CTR and RTC to suit their needs. It's not a one-size-fits-all thing
necessarily. [yoavs]

River
River is aimed at the development and advancement of the Jini
technology core infrastructure. River entered incubation on Dec 26,
2006.

Jini technology is a service oriented architecture that defines a
programming model which both exploits and extends Java technology to
enable the construction of secure, distributed systems which are
adaptive to change.

The last artifact, the QA framework, has been voted in and landed in
SVN. An automated build environment has been put in place and finally
all outstanding issues from the Sun issue tracking system have been
manually migrated in a large group effort to JIRA.

The River community agreed to do a first release to show the larger
Jini community it is serious in its efforts. It ain't a very
ambitious release and will be almost an equivalent of the last
release done by Sun but includes the ServiceUI code. This release
also allows the River community to get acquainted and find out about
many of the ASF procedures. No transformation of the com.sun.jini
namespace to org.apache.river will take place, but the River
community is aware it has to do that and will find an opportune
moment for that during incubation.

Perhaps as a side effect of the ambitions for the first release
discussions on new functionality don't seem to take off very well,
but that time is used to discuss the process the River project
believes it needs to establish. Although most committers have
expressed their desire to have code-review before code is committed,
due to complexity of the codebase and the difficulty to test many
aspects properly, it seemed hard to decide to what extent to enforce
that. A proposal for the initial process guidelines is up for a vote
now that combines RTC for public API and CTR for implementation details.

US export regulations apply to the River codebase and although
discussed in the very early days we were living under the (wrong)
impression that complying with them only applied when we were about
to release. We are aware now that we should have taken care of it
even before the code landed in SVN and we are going to comply as soon
as possible.