river-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Hurley <Jim.Hur...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: River release naming, version, etc.
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:18:49 GMT
On Sep 21, 2007, at 2:56 PM, Frank Barnaby wrote:
>>> Apache has some guidelines around release file naming, as
>>> discussed in:
>>> <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#naming>
>>> Following those, it seems like we should call our release:
>>>   *  apache-river-<#release number>-incubating-{bin/src}.{tar/zip}
>>> Having a separate binary and source release is different than our
>>> practice with the Jini starter kit... but seems to fit into the
>>> best practices outlined in the "A Guide to Release Management
>>> During Incubation
>>> (DRAFT)".  We could include the source in the binary
>>> distribution, but
>>> I'll propose we don't for now (smaller download, potentially
>>> different
>>> user, etc).
>>
>> I'm comfortable with a source and binary download but as those
>> interested in the first release indicated they wanted it to be
>> compatible to the largest extent possible and what will the impact
>> be?
>> Will an overlay of the source and binary distribution e.g. result in
>> something that equals the current JTSK distribution, if so I don't
>> see a
>> real problem.
>

> Yes, the proposed distribution would be very similar to the current
> JTSK
> distribution.
>

> Frank

The use of non-plural "download" and "distribution" above confused me --
so to make sure we're all talking apples and apples (not oranges)...

There would be two downloads/distributions types:
     apache-river-<#release number>-incubating-bin.{tar/zip}
     apache-river-<#release number>-incubating-src.{tar/zip}

A resulting overlay of the two downloads would seemingly result
in something that equals the current Starter Kit download.

-Jim