river-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Hurley <Jim.Hur...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: a potential "AR1" release
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:34:27 GMT
On Sep 4, 2007, at 3:47 AM, Dan Creswell wrote:
> Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>> Bob Scheifler wrote:

>>> Moving the existing deprecated jars (jini-core.jar, jini-ext.jar,
>>> sdm-dl.jar, sun-util.jar) could break existing scripts/etc that
>>> reference them, so if the desire is for AR1 to maintain maximum
>>> compatibility, it would seem preferable to leave them where they
>>> are.
>>
>> Your call, but my thoughts are that there will already be some
>> changes
>> involved in testing and integrating AR1, for many.  So, having to
>> change
>> some referred to directory structures, etc, may not be a big impact
>> overall.
>
> What do the rest of the user-base think about this? ^^^
>
> How much backward compatibility does everybody expect in this first
> release?
>
> Anybody out there?

Hey Dan-

My guess is that we haven't made enough substantive progress in this
(River) project yet to attract Jini users to these mailing lists.  We
certainly
have some (who seem to be generally lurking), but it will not be
(IMHO) until
we get out a release or two before 'users' will start to be very
vocal on this
list.

It might be better to ask this at jini/javaspaces-users right now.

My 2c.

-Jim